I have been watching all the media releases for the Wii U with great interest ever since it was brought to public attention before last years E3. The Wii U has promised to put the core back into Nintendo with promises of great 3rd party support, games catering to gaming enthusiasts, and promising a significantly more powerful console.
This weeks launch unfortunately highlighted various issues and they are all massive deal breakers. Due to the state of the system and its capability, I have decided against buying it. I have always been a bit of a Ninty fan but to say its an underwhelming release is an understatement.
- 8gb of default internal memory with only 3gig available to the user. Isn't this 2012? Sure I could buy a USB HDD but doesn't this defeat the purpose of a low power 40w device?
- Resistive touch screen. My sons cheap $80 tablet has a Resistive IPS touch screen all for $90. The gamepad screen whilst unique, it's not an game changing experience, its a DS for the lounge with low end hardware.
- Battery Life - A big failure.
- 20 second load screens between apps.
- Proprietary technology, no longer do I have a wish for being limited to what my device can do considering the cheaper alternatives.
- Massively time consuming first day updates.
My suggestions for Nintendo:
- You want better 3rd party support, give them some damn power and default HDD space.
- You want to get the core audience, give them some damn eyecandy with a fluid 1080p experience.
You may say graphics dont make the game, whilst true in some respects, it definitely makes a good game better and is infinitely more immersive.
Personally I hope closed systems like the current consoles are coming to an end in favor of more open hardware like the Ouya. Maybe this sort of change will cause Nintendo to re-evaluate its perception of the market and bring the company back. Doubtful though, the evidence is already there that the market is changing, the popularity of Mobile devices and the Steam led resurgence of the PC platform is evidence enough.
Ignorance is not bliss when you are trying to make money and I fear Nintendo has failed with its latest release.