Works with Adobe Photoshop CS3 Mac and PC Platforms.
First you need this really useful plugin from telegraphics.com.au It works fine with Photoshop CS3 for PC.
- Create a new Photoshop document 16x16 pixels or a multiple of this such as 32x32, 64x64. We can optimise the image size later on.
- If you want a transparent favicon, make sure the background of the image is transparent. If not, a quick way of removing the background is to select it using the magic wand and hitting delete. or select the background with the magic wand - Click the Photoshop Select menu and select Similar. That should select all the background in one hit - hit the delete key to remove the background.
- Save this as your Photoshop favicon Master
- Now go to File - Save for Web & Devices in the Photoshop menu
- Select GIF, click transparency on if required (diffusion transparency filter should be fine), set image size to 16x16 pixels and save.
- Reopen this gif file in Photoshop and finally save it as an icon file.